This study guide is written for students preparing for the Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-Level examination and International Baccalaureate programme. It is presented in an easy-to-read format, so as to help students learn and understand the various mechanisms and reactions of organic compounds. Organic Chemistry cannot be learnt by merely memorising the equations and reagents.
Students need to adopt the mechanistic approach to better understand how organic compounds react. In this way, students can learn to predict the products of a reaction through understanding instead of memorising.
In order to help students achieve these objectives, each chapter of the book contains:
- Simple explanations to complex concepts presented in point form
- 140 challenging examples with detailed solutions and explanations to help students understand and apply the concepts learnt
- Important tips on solving examination questions
- Common mistakes to avoid in examinations
- Summaries of concepts presented through diagrams, tables, and mind maps. 20 tables and mind maps serve as quick reference for students when solving questions.